Thursday, April 10, 2014

Ultimate...Black Bean Burgers

While I don't miss meat as much as I thought I would, I do crave a burger from time to time. Like I've said in other posts, I've not given up meat altogether. But I have been looking for healthy, or at least healthier, options.


The problem with looking for alternatives is you want the same taste and texture while avoiding all of the bad things of the original product. With that in mind I went looking for something that tastes good, held together like a burger, but didn't necessarily have the flavor of a beef burger. 

I found a couple and mentally walked thru the flavors and textures. I came across two that sounded decent. My normal mode of operating is to follow a recipe to the T. Once I've had a chance to taste the end product I'll determine how good it is and then look at what needs tweaking. I went to the tweaking stage right away and frankensteined them recipes together. The recipe below is the end result. Pure deliciousness.

Al Kemist's Ultimate Black Bean Burgers
 
What You'll Need
2 cloves garlic
1/2 red bell pepper seeded and cut into 1" pieces
1/2 onion coarsely diced
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp cumin
2 tbls ketchup
1 15oz can bldg beans, rinsed & drained
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup breadcrumbs.


What You'll Do
1. In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion, pepper and garlic until the onions are translucent (about 8 minutes)
2. Add spices and ketchup. Stir for another minute.
3. Run mixture thru food processor or blender. Then run thru a mesh sieve.
4. Mash beans with fork or potato masher. Add onion mixture, egg, and breadcrumbs
and mix till combined.
5. Heat skillet to medium heat. Use nonstick spray or olive oil.
6. Divide mixture in fourths. Roll into ball then flatten into a patty.
6. Cook until browned on one side. Flip and cook until GBD.

No comments:

Post a Comment