Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls

I love cinnamon rolls. They are one of my favorite specialty breakfasts. Special occasion food. Birthdays, Easter, just becauses. The problem with cinnamon rolls  is that most times they are very dry. Also, as much as I love AB's science his baked goods recipes are often lacking. So, it was with some trepidation that I attempted these.

Wow. Just...wow. These are overnight rolls. These are OVERNIGHT rolls. These are "you're going to have to wait for them" rolls. These are not "peel the cardboard tube and wait for the scary 'pop'" rolls. But they are worth the time.

The end result was a deliciously moist cinnamon roll. The cinnamon filling did not overpower the roll. It was a perfect paring. The icing, though, was a little overly sweet. Not Cinnabon sweet. Just a little too sweet for first thing thing in the morning. Especially if you're drinking orange juice.

What I liked: Moist and tender. Cinnamon filling complimented and did not overpower the flavor of the roll. 

What I Would Change: The icing was a bit too sweet for first thing in the morning. I would try an icing that is less sugary. Maybe even forgo icing altogether. Though, that's near-blasphemous when discussing cinnamon rolls. I'd also like to see how this turns out with whole wheat.

Summary: Alton Brown's science and recipe are spot on. This has become a favorite treat breakfast. 


No comments:

Post a Comment