Friday, March 28, 2014

My Tango With Salsa

I'm picky about my dips. And, when it comes to salsa, I'm extremely neurotic. It is hard to ruin a French onion dip. Open seasoning packet. Mix with sour cream. Voila.... Done. Not so with salsa.


Salsa is simply the Spanish word for sauce. But, here in the states it has come to mean so much more. Salsa can range anywhere from course diced mixture of onions, tomatoes, peppers and spices (Pico de Gallo or salsa fresca) to an actual spiced tomato sauce (salsa). Or, you can even add other fruits into the mix such as mango or pineapple

I'm not a fan of sauce-style salsa, be it smooth or chunky (think a Mexican-style marinara sauce). I'm a fan of Pico de Gallo (or salsa fresca). And mixing the key ingredients is where the tango meets the salsa. A carefully balanced dance of flavor and texture.

This salsa here is not quite the Good Eats version of salsa as A) it has no red pepper 2) the onion is yellow, not red and D) I didn't let it sit for 12+ hours for the flavors to marry. And I'm okay with that,because, this Pico de Gallo rocked. 

I love the sweetness that the roasted pepper imparts. There's a whole tangy/sweet /spicy tango on my tongue. The spices are subtle. There is some heat, but not too much. 

Though this was fairly simple to make, good Pico de Gallo requires a bit of knife skill. You could make it in a food processor, but you run the risk of moving from a Pico de Gallo to an actual sauce, which might taste good in its own right but isn't what I'm going for here. 

I'm putting this under the Lab because I do want to tinker with it a bit. I like scalability. I like a recipe that easily allows you to make a small or large batch based upon need.  So it sits in  lab until I get an ultimate recipe nailed down.

Al Kemist's Pico de Gallo v1.0

What You Need
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeno, roasted and minced1/2 jalapeno, minced
1 lime, juiced
salt, pepper, chili powder, to taste

What To D
Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl. 

Consume with your favorite tortilla chip


No comments:

Post a Comment