Monday, March 24, 2014

Holy Guacamole, Batman

When I was a young lad I was not a fan of the avocado by itself. But the magical dip known as guacamole? I couldn't get enough of it. If I ran out of chips I'd resort to a spoon (and, sometimes still do).



Traditional guacamole is nothing more than mashed avocado and sea salt. Later on, additions such as tomates, spices, and even yogurt or mayonaise were added (bleh). The version I fell in love with was a mixture of spices and tomatoes added to the mashed avocado. I wanted to make this for myself.

Time for a quick trip to Good Eats. Alton Brown does not disappoint. Sometimes, I think he can be a bit too heavy-handed with the cumin. Not so here. The spice blend is perfect. And he uses lime juice rather than lemon juice, which in my humblest of opinions, pairs much better.

With just a little work, I was able to turn this: 


Into this:






Summary: The guacamole has a nice mix of textures and flavors. You can adjust the spice to your own desired level of heat. Perhaps using a hotter or more mild chile as well. I think the jalepeno is perfect, though.

Things To Try: For me, there really isn't much to try. As noted above, you can play with which chile you use. I like my additives minced. But you can play with the size of the tomato, onion, and/or chile. Your call. For me, I'm changing nothing. Other than how much I can have on hand at any given moment.




Recipe Link

No comments:

Post a Comment